[Openstack] Meaning of each field of 'hypervisor stats show' command.

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 18:50:10 UTC 2018

On 01/17/2018 12:46 PM, Jorge Luiz Correa wrote:
> Hi, I would like some help to understand what does means each field in
> output of the command 'openstack hypervisor stats show':

it's an amalgamation of legacy information that IMHO should be
deprecated from the Compute API.

FWIW, the "implementation" for this API response is basically just a
single SQL statement issued against each Nova cell DB:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/db/sqlalchemy/api.py#L755

> $ openstack hypervisor stats show
> +----------------------+---------+
> | Field                | Value   |
> +----------------------+---------+
> | count                | 5       |

number of hypervisor hosts in the system that are not disabled.

> | current_workload     | 0       |

The SUM of active boot/reboot/migrate/resize operations going on for all
the hypervisor hosts.

What actions represent "workload"? See here:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/compute/stats.py#L45

> | disk_available_least | 1848    |

who knows? it's dependent on the virt driver and the disk image backing
file and about as reliable as a one-armed guitar player.

> | free_disk_gb         | 1705    |

theoretically should be sum(local_gb - local_gb_used) for all hypervisor
hosts.

> | free_ram_mb          | 2415293 |

theoretically should be sum(memory_mb - memory_mb_used) for all
hypervisor hosts.

> | local_gb             | 2055    |

amount of space, in GB, available for ephemeral disk images on the
hypervisor hosts. if shared storage is used, this value is as useful as
having two left feet.

> | local_gb_used        | 350     |

the amount of storage used for ephemeral disk images of instances on the
hypervisor hosts. if the instances are boot-from-volume, this number is
about as valuable as a three-dollar bill.

> | memory_mb            | 2579645 |

the total amount of RAM the hypervisor hosts have. this does not take
into account the amount of reserved memory the host might have configured.

> | memory_mb_used       | 164352  |

the total amount of memory allocated to guest VMs on the hypervisor hosts.

> | running_vms          | 13      |

the total number of VMs on all the hypervisor hosts that are NOT in the
DELETED or SHELVED_OFFLOADED states.

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/compute/vm_states.py#L78

> | vcpus                | 320     |

total amount of physical CPU core-threads across all hypervisor hosts.

> | vcpus_used           | 75      |

total number of vCPUs allocated to guests (regardless of VM state)
across the hypervisor hosts.

Best,
-jay