[Openstack] [Nova]Update glance image contents

Ondrej Vaško ondrej.vaskoo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 13:31:35 UTC 2018

Hello guys,

I am dealing with one issue and that is a question *What is the right
approach for updating openstack glance images?*

When new version of cloud image comes out, for example Ubuntu cloud images
<https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/xenial/current/>, I want to update old
openstack glance image with that new cloud image (As currently urged with
Spectre mitigation update). I see several possibilities:

   1. Create new image with different name.

>    Downside is that I will have many images of same distribution and
>    release with different updates/kernel and tenants wouldn't know which to
>    use. Also there will be additional disk space used.

   2. Create new image with same name as old image and delete the old one
   (I think a lot of people is doing it like that).

>    Downside is that instances which used the old image will have empty
>    image name in horizon and rebuild or other operations may not be working.
>    Basically the `*image_ref`* column in nova.instances is pointing to
>    UUID of old image and all operations with this UUID will potentially fail.

   3. Create new image with different name but hide old image by making it
   private and with no members.

>    Hacky way and other issues us above.

   4. Create new image, delete the old one and change column `*image_ref*`
   in nova database table instances using the old one to new one.

>    Hacky way and possible negative impact.

Also notice that API function for glance upload
<https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/image/v2/index.html#upload-binary-image-data>
is working only for images with status *queued* and cannot be used.

So is there a preferred way to update glance image to new or is this still
an open and not addressed issue?

I found similar openstack mailing list conversation in this link
<https://lists.gt.net/openstack/operators/41507>, but no systematic answer
was there so I am asking again here after 3 years.

Thank you forward for your shared insight, advices and experiences.