[Openstack] Upgrade Mitaka to Pike

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Mon Jan 8 12:45:19 UTC 2018

Hi,

in case you haven't received any answers yet I thought it might still
help if I share our experiences with the upgrade procedure. It really
was tricky in some parts, but we managed to get both Ceph and
OpenStack up and running. We migrated from ceph jewel to luminous and
OpenStack Mitaka to Ocata, not Pike yet.

Basically, your procedure is correct. This is how we did it:

1. upgraded OS of each ceph server, no issues
2. upgraded ceph packages from jewel to luminous on each ceph server,
no issues
3. upgraded ceph packages from jewel to luminous on all cloud nodes,
no problems
4. upgraded controller to Newton, no problems yet
    clients could still work properly if they were in external
networks, because neutron had to be stopped
5. double-upgraded control node OS and Newton to Ocata because
ceph-client caused some troubles
6. upgraded OS of compute nodes last, no issues
    this was quite easy since we could live-migrate instances to other hosts

The biggest trouble was caused by the database migration. We had to
manipulate the DB ourselves based on the error messages in the logs,
but eventually it worked.

After the most important services were back online I started to update
the configs according to the warnings in the logs for cinder, nova,
neutron etc.

There were some guides that helped me keeping the right order:

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/user/upgrade.html
[2] https://www.rdoproject.org/install/upgrading-rdo/

Unfortunately, I don't have a detailed step-by-step guide about our
procedures and issues we had to resolve. Since it was kind of time
critical I was focused on resolving the problems instead of
documenting everything. ;-)

I hope this helps anyway if you haven't already managed it. We didn't
have a real downtime of our VMs, at least not the ones in production
use since they work in external networks and are not depending on the
neutron services on the control node. Being able to live-migrate
instances was also quite helpful. :-)

Regards,
Eugen

--
Eugen Block                             voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77
D-22423 Hamburg                         e-mail  : eblock at nde.ag

         Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
           Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                   Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                    USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983