[Openstack] DHCP for IPv6

Sterdnot Shaken sterdnotshaken at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 23:58:30 UTC 2017

Openstack version: Ocata
Mech driver: OVS
Security: Linuxbridge

Hello!

Anyone have any idea why DHCP for IPv4 works fine but DHCP for IPv6
doesn't? With Stateless or just SLAAC, the VM's calculate a correct IPv6
address from the IPv6 prefix I've assigned, but (for stateless) the
instances doesn't get any of the options, like DNS, etc...  Stateful
doesn't work at all. I configure a stateful network using a command like
this:

openstack subnet create --allocation-pool
start=2604:ffff:ffff:ffff::2,end=2604:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff
--ip-version 6 --ipv6-address-mode dhcpv6-stateful --ipv6-ra-mode
dhcpv6-stateful --dns-nameserver 2620:0:ccc::2 --network cust01-v6_net0
--subnet-range 2604:ffff:ffff:ffff::/64 cust01-v6_sub0

But none of the instances added to that network acquire a v6 address ever.
I can statically assign the selected IPv6 address to the respective
instance and it can then ping out using v6 just fine. I can also add IPv6
DNS addresses to resolv.conf and the instance can correctly resolve as
well. This issue happens on both Linux and Windows instances...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Steve