[Openstack] Help with openstack single node deployment

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Mar 27 15:18:22 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-24 15:53:26 -0600 (-0600), Joe Topjian wrote:
> I'm an absolute amateur at this -- no doubt OpenStack Infra has
> better tools
[...]

We don't really have any jobs that operate in the described manner.
Instead we test against Mitaka (or any OpenStack release) this way:

1. DevStack is checked-out and built with the desired settings on a
   single-use virtual machine in a public cloud provider (but there
   is no public access to that DevStack deployment)

2. Tests are performed from the same virtual machine against the
   local DevStack running there

3. Results/logs are collected and published by our job scheduler

4. The virtual machine used for that test is deleted and returned to
   our available quota

This is probably a fair amount of extra overhead for your needs, but
is done this way in our case because we need to be able to test
proposed changes to services running as a part of DevStack and since
those get started with root privileges we can't trust the virtual
machine for subsequent jobs. Also this has a nice side effect of
starting with a fresh, pristine deployment every time for improved
consistency.

You can read more about the devstack-gate framework we use at
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/devstack-gate/tree/README.rst

--
Jeremy Stanley