[Openstack] Shrink Image's Flavor Requirements

Georgios Dimitrakakis giorgis at acmac.uoc.gr
Sun Mar 26 02:52:44 UTC 2017

 Hello again!

 Unfortunately it doesn't work...

 Here is the error: "Flavor's disk is too small for requested image.
 Flavor disk is 21474836480 bytes, image is 53687091200 bytes.]."

 This is on an image that was taken when the flavor had root with 50GB
 and tried to upload it using a flavor of 20GB.

 The filesystem uses around 2-3GB and I had specified with the
 "--min-disk 5" parameter to be able to spawn on 5GB or more flavors.

 Here is the output from "image show" command

 +------------------+------------------------------------------------------+

 +------------------+------------------------------------------------------+
 | checksum         | 66ca6e4b52dc42f563fa5c321b5c3da9
  |
 | container_format | bare
  |
 | created_at       | 2017-03-26T02:44:54Z
  |
 | disk_format      | qcow2

 | file             |
 /v2/images/4ce95fa2-5983-4999-a9ef-c5702b5fae6d/file |
 | id               | 4ce95fa2-5983-4999-a9ef-c5702b5fae6d
  |
 | min_disk         | 5
  |
 | min_ram          | 0
  |
 | name             | new
  |
 | owner            | 0518e08cac524dacb457c631a9efa7b3
  |
 | protected        | False
  |
 | schema           | /v2/schemas/image
  |
 | size             | 3065315328
  |
 | status           | active

 | tags             |

 | updated_at       | 2017-03-26T02:45:06Z
  |
 | virtual_size     | None
  |
 | visibility       | public

 +------------------+------------------------------------------------------+

 The only thing that I didn't do was to use the "save" command although
 I don't know if that could make a difference!

 I 've just went to "/var/lib/glance/images" and taken directly from
 there the file that was corresponding to the image I wanted.
 Do you believe that by "saving" it would make any difference??

 Any other ideas that I can try???

 All the best,

 G.

 On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 05:37:47 +0300, Georgios Dimitrakakis wrote:
> Hi Chris!
>
> Thanks for pointing out the "--min-disk" parameter. I haven't used
> that one before.
>
> I 'll try it out and post back.
>
> Regards,
>
> G.
>
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 18:39:09 -0700, Chris Suttles wrote:
>> You might be able to change it via openstack command, probably
>> something like 'openstack show image <Id>'  / 'openstack image set
>> ??
>> <id>'
>>
>> You can definitely download the image to a file and then upload a
>> new
>> image, specifying --min-disk. Something like 'openstack image save
>> --file <file> <id>' and then just 'openstack image create --file
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> -Chris
>>
>>> On Mar 25, 2017, at 5:31 PM, Georgios Dimitrakakis
>>> <giorgis at acmac.uoc.gr> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Let's assume that I have a VM's image that has been taken when the
>>> VM was launched with a flavor of 50GB for the root disk.
>>> Now when I try to spawn a new VM out of that image I cannot do it
>>> with a flavor that has disk less than 50GB even if the VM itself
>>> inside uses only 5GB.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to shrink the image's flavor requirements?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> G.

 Dr. Dimitrakakis Georgios

 Networks and Systems Administrator

 Archimedes Center for Modeling, Analysis & Computation (ACMAC)
 School of Sciences and Engineering
 University of Crete
 P.O. Box 2208
 710 - 03 Heraklion