[Openstack] Trove is skipped in Newton

Amrith Kumar amrith.kumar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 14:33:55 UTC 2017

Yes, the documentation cannot (unfortunately) cover each and every possible
deployment scenario that one finds out there.  In the case of Trove where
guest images contain software like databases, the project cannot legally
distribute guest images.

Where we provide tools to build images then those tools will be with
configurations that we can know and control; hence the project formerly
known as trove-integration (dead and gone, may it rest in peace) which has
now been integrated into the trove repository as the trovestack tool. But
that tool can only generate images which we know will work in a system
configured in a certain way. You can run the trovestack build-image command
and make just the images or you can use the kick-start mechanism which will
get you going in the full devstack environment. Whether an image built using
the build-image command will work on your specific OpenStack, one cannot say
for sure. That is just a fact that people like to ignore.

I'm always criticized for telling people to first try and deploy trove using
devstack and no one wants to listen to the simple reason for this. Trove has
a number of moving parts and a specific aspect of complexity that isn't
found in other projects; the guest agent on the guest image. And the fact
that it is a consumer of a number of underlying OpenStack services that are
each tweaked just a little bit by each deployer.

The benefit of kicking off Trove in a simple VM with devstack and using the
devstack tools to get things going is that you see how the whole system is
supposed to work together and it is then much easier to go from there to
building your own images and deploying them on an OpenStack system
configured in your own specific way. And yes, every single OpenStack system
that I've seen is configured in some slightly different way and many of
these apparently inconsequential changes do in fact impact Trove.

I'll offer the same suggestion again, get a simple system up and running
with devstack and see how the piece parts fit together in a configuration
that is supposed to work. That'll make it easier to understand how things
are supposed to work in whatever configuration you want to put together.
This was the same advice I was given when I started working on Trove, and
believe me, it is good advice.

And if the documentation is lacking, and you find something helpful (or
unhelpful) in the documentation, maybe contributing it would be useful for
others.

-amrith