[Openstack] Packstack Installation on CentOS 7, Networking problem (possibly External Bridge)

Reza Shaikhly rezashaikhly at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 19:34:35 UTC 2017

Hello eyeryone,

I'm kind of new with OpenStack.

Three months ago I managed to deploy OpenStack using Packstack on three
nodes. Three VMs with CentOS 7 minimal created using VM Ware ESXI
hypervisor: a controller node, a network controller node (Neutron) and a
compute node (Nova). Things worked all right there as a test bed for PoC and
lunching a few instances. That was OpenStack Newton.

Yesterday I followed the very same procedure and I ran into two problems:
first problem was related to NTP, and I finally found a workaround for it.
However the second problem I couldn't handle it so far and I hope to get
some kind recommendations here. The problem is that it seems the traffic
does not go off to the External network

I create an external network and a Router on a project using Horizon and
connect the external network to the gateway of the Router. Everything seems
fine, but I can't ping the router's gateway from my own client which are on
the same subnet. It seems that External Bridge does not route the traffic
outside.

I can't ping the router's gateway from Neutron server. With this big problem
I can't go further, because instances won't be able to ping outside network,
also they won't be reachable from outside.

I checked the firewall on my client and even turned it off. Also I checked
Neutron server's firewall status using: "systemctl status firewalld" and
service seemed dead.

Here is my eth0 and External bridge configurations on Neutron server:

eth0:

DEVICETTYPE=ovs

TYPE=OVSPort

OVS_BRIDGE=br-ex

DEVICE=eth0

NAME=eth0

BOOTPROTO=none

ONBOOT=yes

External bridge:

TYPE=OVSBridge

DEVICE=br-ex

NAME=br-ex

BOOTPROTO=static

DEVICETYPE=ovs

ONBOOT=yes

IPADDR=172.16.10.123

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

GATEWAY=172.16.10.1

DNS1=8.8.8.8

PEERDNS=yes

USERCTL=yes

Even I lunched three instances using Cirros image and they able to ping each
other, also able to ping the gateway of the router, However nothing seems
reachable from outside.

That's why I think there should be something wrong with External Bridge.

Please Help, if you have any alternative config for external bridge and NIC
card, or whatever useful to help my limit knowledge...

Thank you

Rez

P.S: Is the NIC card type in VM has anything to do with this problem? I mean
when I created the Virtual machines, I chose VMXNET3 as NIC card type,
should I try another type, something like E1000, maybe for compatibility?