[Openstack] [Mirantis] How to keep ntpd down

Raja T Nair rtnair at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 00:26:48 UTC 2017

Thanks a lot for the reply, John.

Yes I understand that time is really important for cluster setup, that's
why I was panicking and looking for alternatives when I found time drifting
while ntpd was still on.
So I was planning to do a ``ntpdate w.x.y.z '' every 2 mins in order to
keep time in sync.

Would want to investigate this. My upstream time server seems fine, its on
a baremetal. Many other servers sync with this one too. Also only one
controller had issues with time.
Kind of stuck here, as I have no idea why one node's ntpd would fail :(

Regards,
Raja.

On 20 July 2017 at 16:27, John Petrini <jpetrini at coredial.com> wrote:

> On all of the controllers? crm resource stop clone_p_ntp should do it.
> Although I can't imagine why you would want to do this. Time is very
> important in OpenStack (and Ceph if you are running it) which it sounds
> like you've already found out.
>
> The whole purpose of NTP is to keep your time in sync - if it's not doing
> that you should be looking for the root cause not disabling it. You might
> want to start by looking at your upstream time servers that the controllers
> are using. This is configured in Fuel and the configuration is stored in
> /etc/npt.conf on the controllers.
>
> I'd highly recommend setting up monitoring of ntp so you know when the
> clock starts to drift and can respond to it before it drifts too far and
> becomes a problem.
>
> ___
>
> John Petrini
>

> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 6:29 AM, Raja T Nair <rtnair at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Mirantis 7.0
>>
>> I am trying to keep ntpd down and do a periodic ntpdate against a time
>> server.
>> This is because one of the controllers started to drift and services in
>> that not started to go down.
>>
>> But it seems that the ntpd daemon comes up after 10 sec every time i stop
>> it.
>> Is there a monitor running somewhere which does brings it back?
>>
>> Please guide me on this and also tell me if I am doing something wrong.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Raja.
>>
>> --
>> :^)