[Openstack] [nova] Database not delete PCI info after device is removed from host and nova.conf

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 00:34:57 UTC 2017

Hi again, Eddie :) Answer inline...

On 07/06/2017 08:14 PM, Eddie Yen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm using OpenStack Mitaka version (deployed from Fuel 9.2)
>
> In present, I installed two different model of GPU card.
>
> And wrote these information into pci_alias and pci_passthrough_whitelist
> in nova.conf on Controller and Compute (the node which installed GPU).
> Then restart nova-api, nova-scheduler,and nova-compute.
>
> When I check database, both of GPU info registered in pci_devices table.
>
> Now I removed one of the GPU from compute node, and remove the
> information from nova.conf, then restart services.
>
> But I check database again, the information of the removed card still
> exist in pci_devices table.
>
> How can I do to fix this problem?

So, when you removed the GPU from the compute node and restarted the
nova-compute service, it *should* have noticed you had removed the GPU
and marked that PCI device as deleted. At least, according to this code
in the PCI manager:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/pci/manager.py#L168-L183

Question for you: what is the value of the status field in the
pci_devices table for the GPU that you removed?

Best,
-jay

p.s. If you really want to get rid of that device, simply remove that
record from the pci_devices table. But, again, it *should* be removed
automatically...