[Openstack] OpenStack 2016 Annual Report

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Tue Jan 24 19:44:19 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

Today we published the OpenStack Foundation 2016 Annual Report: https://www.openstack.org/assets/reports/OpenStack-2016-Annual-Report-final-draft.pdf

Thank you to all of the community members who contributed to the report, and to Heidi Joy for putting it together. The report includes key stats, as well as updates from the Board of Directors, Foundation staff, Technical Committee, Board Committees and Working Groups. We had a busy year in 2016, and it’s great to see our collective efforts documented.

2016 was a big year for OpenStack. We had our most substantial software releases, our best-attended Summits, our broadest set of global OpenStack Days, reached our largest footprint of public cloud providers, and learned about bigger deployments and projects using OpenStack. We saw organizations as varied as AT&T, Volkswagen Group, China Mobile, Banco Santander, and Cambridge University give keynote presentations about driving innovation with the software our community develops. And we saw new companies invest in our community, especially from China and the telecom sector. We started to see the power of the “one platform” concept with virtualization, bare metal and containers working together to run versatile workloads. From the OpenStack and Kubernetes demos in Austin to the OpenStack and OPNFV telecom demo in Barcelona, we saw how collaboration and technology integrations deliver practical value.

But 2016 was also a year of changes in the industry and in our community, whether it be emerging technologies or shifts in the ecosystem. As we look forward to 2017, more change is on the horizon and collaboration within our community and beyond is more important than ever. The way we react and adapt in this period of change will have a huge impact on the role OpenStack plays in the future of IT. With a strong, diverse community and clear mission, there’s nothing we can’t achieve together.

Today we kick off 2017 with the first Board meeting, in which we'll seat new members from the recent election. We look forward to supporting and working closely with all of you this year!

Best,
Lauren