[Openstack] [devstack] Default devstack guest does not respond to ping/ssh

Vikash Kumar vikash.kumar at oneconvergence.com
Fri Jan 20 09:34:12 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 2:17 AM, Adam Kimball <baha at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've been attempting to get a working devstack configuration for a few
> days no, and have been running into issues with networking. Specifically,
> after creating a local server, I've been unable to connect to it using a
> public interface from the same machine. Here are the steps I've attempted
> thus far:
>

>    - Run devstack via stack.sh, with passwords correctly initialized
>       - Note: upon completion, there are two 'default' security group
>       entries listed when running 'openstack security group list'.
>    - On both security groups, rules were created in an attempt to allow
>    ssh and ping
>       - openstack security group rule create $secgroup_uuid --protocol
>       tcp --dst-port 22 --remote-ip 0.0.0.0/0
>       - openstack security group rule create $secgroup_uuid --protocol
>       udp --dst-port 22 --remote-ip 0.0.0.0/0
>       - openstack security group rule create $secgroup_uuid --protocol
>       icmp --dst-port -1 --remote-ip 0.0.0.0/0
>    - We then launch an instance
>       - openstack server create --image cirros-0.3.4-x86_64-uec --flavor
>       m1.medium test
>    - This instance seems to launch fully. It has an address from the
>    network named 'public'.

​        'public' networks are external and if your intention is to get
public ip for ur instances then create a provider network instead , create
a subnet in it and assign it the range of free IP in your network. Now,
once you have network in place make sure you map it to correct interface of
the host . Now you can boot the VM with the network you just created and it
will get one of your public IP.

Other way is created a private network. Boot VM on this network. Create
external network and assign a pool of free IPs on your public network.
Create router and do the needed. Create a FIP and attach it to VM. Its done
your VM has now external connectivity.

 Hope this help.

>    -
>       - However, according to the logs, as it's coming up, DHCP seems to
>       fail!
>       - I have also tried with Ubuntu, rather than cirros, to check for
>       image corruption.
>
> As a result, I'm unable to ping or ssh into the instance. Any thoughts or
> helpful comments?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam Kimball

Regards,