[Openstack] Openstack+KVM+overcommit, VM priority

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Thu Jan 12 17:29:11 UTC 2017

With 4 physical cpu cores, you'll have 8 with HT so you likely don't need
anything managing overcommitting. But you also have memory contention in
your design. OpenStack facilitates resource limits to prevent the
contention from happening but does not get into managing vm priorities. The
assumption I presume is that high priority instances will be placed on high
priority hosts where overcommit ratios are safe for the VM's hosted on that
machine.

I know guys don't like to hear this when things are running but you need to
reassess what you're doing and rethink the 'why' factor to understand if
that level of manual management is really necessary. Remember this is a
cloud but your setup is basically complicated pet management. Add another
compute host and put your low priority instances on it rather than trying
to manage two SLA's yourself. Let OpenStack do it for you. ; )

//adam

All the best.

//adam

On Jan 12, 2017 9:17 AM, "Kostyantyn Volenbovskyi" <volenbovsky at yandex.ru>