[Openstack] [networking-sfc] SFC in BITW or L2 mode (Vikash Kumar)

Farhad Sunavala fsbiz at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 15:32:49 UTC 2017

With OVS driver, how can you even get a VM up and running in Openstack

without the risk of melting the entire network down ?

Both the interfaces of the BITW VM are sitting on br-int.The risk of BUM packets looping between the two interfaces is very high.   Even if the BITW VM does not forward broadcast and multicast packetsacross the two interfaces, chances are it would forward "Unknown unicasts"resulting in looping of these packets between the two interfaces.

Consider a BITW BM with OF ports 1 and 2.  When "br-int"  floodsan "Unknown unicast packet" to ports 1 and 2, you essentially have a loop situation.

With OVN driver, this is no longer an issue since OVN knows where each and every unicast MAC address needs to be forwarded.  FLooding of "unknown unicasts" is not an issue with OVN.

Farhad.

Message: 1