[Openstack] nova backup - instances unreachable

John Petrini jpetrini at coredial.com
Wed Jan 11 14:22:45 UTC 2017

Hi Eugen,

Thanks for the response! That makes a lost of sense and is what I figured
was going on but I missed it in the documentation. We use Ceph as well and
I had considered doing the snapshots at the RBD level but I was hoping
there was someway to accomplish this via nova. I came across this Sebastien
Han write-up that claims this functionality was added to Mitaka:
http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2015/10/05/openstack-nova-snapshots-on-ceph-rbd/

We are running Mitaka but our snapshots are not happening at the RBD level,
they are being copied and uploaded to glance which takes up a lot of space
and is very slow.

Have you or anyone else implemented this in Mitaka? Other than Sebastian's
blog I haven't found any documentation on this.

Thank You,

___

John Petrini