[Openstack] [Swift] : Ring Algorithm

Sameer Kulkarni ksameersrk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 06:34:49 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I was trying to understand the Ring Algorithm for Openstack Swift. I have
went through official docs. I found that it uses Consistent Hashing Ring[1].

But the problem is, It doesn't mention about the features of Swift like
Given 3 regions, Each file should go to different regions etc.

If I have 8 nodes with equal weights, then a couple of nodes are always
empty even after inserting 20 files [with each of 3 replicas]. I feel that
this doesn't happen in Swift Algorithm, But only in Consistent Hashing Ring.

*So, what other things Swift Ring Algorithm have apart from Consistent
Hashing Ring?*

Thank you

Sameer Kulkarni