[Openstack] Authentication problem ceilometer --> gnocchi (ocata)

Thomas Schmidt t.schmidt at md-network.de
Thu Apr 6 13:46:59 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have been following information from here

https://docs.openstack.org/project-install-guide/ocata/ubuntu-services.html

to setup a demo/test/learn system for Openstack.
I have one control node (os-control1) which is VMWare virtualized (and a real Hardware compute node).
Setting up instances from CLI/Horizon works fine as well as setting up Stacks with Heat.

I would like now to do experiments with telemetry (1. do Autoscaling Stack setups; 2. having telemetry graphs in Horizon ).
For that I was following the installation guide in the ceilometer and aodh. Learned there that ceilometer needs gnocchi backend for storage. But either I missed something or the documentation is not complete here I miss how exactly gnocchi (and ceilometer) needs to be configured to work properly. I googled now a lot struggling with the different releases (and partially totally different configuration approaches) - however the result is more or less the same - I can’t get ceilometer to communicate with gnocchi (is that really needed or is there a more simple approach ?).

In my actual situation I believe authentication makes use of keystone service - therefore I tried to configure that - however the ceilometer-collector.log output shows:

ERROR ceilometer.dispatcher.gnocchi [-] Failed to connect to Gnocchi.
ERROR stevedore.extension [-] Could not load 'gnocchi': The request you have made requires authentication. (HTTP 401)

additionally the gnocchi CLI gives HTTP 401:
~> gnocchi resource list
The request you have made requires authentication. (HTTP 401)

When I set in gnocchi.conf „auth_mode" to „noauth“ the CLI client works (at least some output, no 401 error message) but after a while ceilometer-collector.log shows the same 401 error message.

I might miss as well something from the user registration - however gnocchi and ceilometer are registered users in openstack (see http://ts.md-network.de/downloads/auth_mode-keystone/console.out) and mysql.

I would be really happy if someone can point me to the right direction - or some correct document describes how to enable telemetry so it works with e.g. Autoscale and how to integrate it into Horizon.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
Thomas Schmidt

My Configurations/logs: