[Openstack] Provisioning VMs in Openstack cluster

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Wed Sep 28 19:57:46 UTC 2016

On Sep 28, 2016, at 8:34 PM, Leon Liu wrote:

> We are trying to provision a few VM images in a small Openstack cluster. Our
> image is about 3GB size.  It has taken six minutes to provision just three
> VMs, one on each host; and it grows linearly. Now, we are wondering it may
> take 200 minutes for 100 VMs to be ready. That would be slow.

I have the same experience, if that helps :(.

And my images is not any where near that size, only 463MB!

Using Heat, creating a volume for each instance on a remote SAN,
'takes ages' (haven't clocked it, but creating eight instances
takes well over half an hour)!

I'm "fairly" certain that it's not the network - I have four
trunked 1Gbps links directly down to my storage (and I've triple
checked that that is used).

I've had other things on my mind and I'm not creating a lot of
instances now that most of them have been created, but I've always
intended to go back to this problem so I'm going to follow
this thread closely.
--
Ehhhhm - The battle cry of the cronical masturbater.
- Charlie Harper