[Openstack] Instances do not have access to internet

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Wed Sep 28 15:31:50 UTC 2016

On Sep 28, 2016, at 4:07 PM, Imran Khakoo wrote:

> I can ping instances and SSH into them just fine, but I can't seem to get internet access on the instances.

Maybe a security group is blocking it?

To do a trace from an instance to the 'Net, you'd need to open up for ICMP traffic.

But I'd suggest to be more "smart" about that - what service do the instance need
access to [on the 'Net]?

To download package (like 'apt-get update/apt-get install/apt-get upgrade' or whatever
package manager you're using etc)? Then 'just' open up the HTTP and/or HTTPS (port
80 and/or 443 from the instance to '0.0.0.0/0' (for a very open rule).

To have _all_ the instances have that access 'by default', put it in the "default" security
group.

Note: This needs to be an 'egress' rule only.
--
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.