[Openstack] [OpenStack] [keystone] How to make keystone highly available?

Alexandr Porunov alexandr.porunov at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 21:06:02 UTC 2016

I think that I haven't understood your situation correctly but I will try
to suggest something:

If you have a big load on your keystone server you can spread the load
between two or more servers by using load balancers like HAProxy. But it
wouldn't work if keystone instances not shared tokens with each other. For
it you have to share databse to store all tokens which are generated by
 your keystone servers. Personally I prefer MariaDB Galera Cluster because
it isn't hard to install and works very nice. To reach high availability
for load balancing you need to have one more load balancer managed by
keepalived.
(I am assuming that you don't have such a load)

If you care about high availability (as I do) then you need to have
additional keystone instance which will prevent your cluster from SPOF. For
it I use the same virtual IP address for both keystone instances managed by
keepalived.

Also you can use peacemaker and other stuff to reach high availability but
I can't give you advice for those tools because I haven't used them.

In your situation I would installed additional keystone instance in one of
your node and keepalived on both nodes to prevent SPOF.

Sincerely,
Alexandr