[Openstack] Trove MySQL v5.[67] images?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sun Oct 2 17:01:15 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Turbo Fredriksson's message of 2016-10-02 15:13:02 +0100:
> On Oct 2, 2016, at 2:00 AM, Amrith Kumar wrote:
>
> > I recall from our conversation that you didn't "trust all these *stack builders".
> > If you are now using a system that is devstack based these images could help.
>
> I still don't do that, it's all hand crafted from scratch. Well, almost -
> I still use packages (which do _A LOT_ of the .. 'boring, simple' setup
> for me) but that'll change next time. Next time I'm doing it from source
> (because I'm embarrassed by the quality of the packages - I did a small
> upgrade a few months ago and absolutly everything broke, I had to completely
> reinstall the controller)!
>
> That's the only way _I_ can learn! Others might be different and I respect
> that, but _I_ need to do this from scratch ("the hard way" if you like) to
> be able to gain anything from this - the point wasn't just to "get a test
> setup of Openstack up and running" or "setup a test so I can look at it"
> but actually setting up a production-like system and to be able to
> administrate it and especially fix problems if (when!) they arise! AND to
> gain knowledge on how all this works together.
>

> It's been the worst few months in my life (and it's been a long life :)
> with almost 24/7 work on getting this in the state it is now, but now that
> almost everything works the way I want it, I feel a great satisfaction and
> my knowledge of "The Cloud (™)" have been greatly improved and I almost feel
> I can put "Cloud Expert Extraordinair" on the CV :D :D.

I'm sorry you went through that. However, OpenStack is a very welcoming
place, and there are so many deployment projects to choose from, it's
hard to believe anyone can't find one that would be less stressful
than learning every piece down to the metal. It's commendable that you
learned that, but it's also not how any company would ever want to do
OpenStack. Learning to communicate and work together with the community
is a far more important skill. The whole point of OpenStack is all the
existing knowledge that you can build on top of:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Kolla
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/openstack-ansible/
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Puppet
https://docs.chef.io/openstack.html