[Openstack] Provisioning VMs in Openstack cluster

Leon Liu leon.liu at viscore.com
Fri Nov 4 14:40:00 UTC 2016

Ok, we have done a few things to make that process much faster.

Add in a lots of memory in Compute Node. That helps because the reading
speed of HDD is extremely slow. But if node has large DRMA, Linux is smart
to read large trunk of file into DRAM.

In addition, we use network multicast, instead of N times p2p reading from
image resource, to distribute the image to ALL nodes simultaneously. So, the
provisioning time is not growing with number of node linearly anymore.

We have a plan to use Software RDMA instead of TCP, later.

With these approaches and 10gbe network, we see potential to boot 1000vms,
with 3G+ image size, in 60s

Code is not production read. We are trying them in larger cluster.

BR
Leon