[Openstack] [Swift] Unexplained 404s

Mark Kirkwood mark.kirkwood at catalyst.net.nz
Wed May 25 05:46:42 UTC 2016

On 25/05/16 15:10, Clay Gerrard wrote:
> At the risk of repeating myself:
>
> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 5:30 PM, Clay Gerrard <clay.gerrard at gmail.com
> <mailto:clay.gerrard at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     This inconsistency in search depth based on the per-worker error
>     limiting may be something worth looking into generally - but it's
>     probably mostly hidden on clusters that are going 3 or more nodes
>     deep into handoffs in the default case.
>

> I just don't know how much of an issue it is for clusters where each
> device in the nodes iter is going to be on a separate node, probably
> in independent failure domais - and you've got to not only wiff
> multiple primaries but multiple handoffs too.  More over - you'd have
> to have *all* the replicas get past request_node_count or else one of
> the earlier replicas is going to service the read anyway without ever
> noticing the write that landed further out.  Or even if my theory
> about error limiting maybe allowing a PUT to go deeper than the
> request_node_count holds...
>
> Obviously the data got on second handoff device somehow - it be
> interesting to see the transaction logs for the write that did that -
> but there's a lot of ifs in there and I'm not sure it's an issue
> except in the single replica single node case.  Still sorta
> interesting I guess...

Yeah, single replica is pretty special (maybe useful for teasing out
some unusual bugs to examine).

I'll have another look at a slow system I have here (3 replicas, 3 nodes
each with 6 devices or thereabouts) that *was* exhibiting 404's when
trying to read just created containers or objects. *If* it is not
immediately misconfigured and if I can still reproduce the behaviour
I'll post (new thread to avoid confusion).

regards

Mark