[Openstack] Collecting our wiki use cases

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed May 11 14:42:35 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

At the beginning of OpenStack we have been using wiki.openstack.org as
our default community lightweight information publication platform.
There were/are lots of things in there, reference information that a
couple people struggled to keep up to date (and non-vandalized), old
pages referencing processes or projects long gone, meeting agendas and
minutes, etc. That created a mix of up-to-date reference information and
completely outdated random information that is confusing to use
(especially for newcomers to our community) and that Google search
indiscriminately provides links to.

Over the last two years, various groups have worked to push reference
information out of the wiki, to proper documentation guides (like the
infra guide or the project team guide) or to peer-reviewed specific
reference websites (like security.o.o or releases.o.o). These efforts to
move reference content to other tools and websites where appropriate
will continue.

There are still a lot of use cases for which the wiki is a good
solution, though, and it is likely that we'll need a lightweight
publication platform like a wiki to cover those use cases indefinitely.
Since it's difficult to have a complete view of what the wiki is
currently used for, I'd like to collect information from current wiki
users, to make sure we have the complete picture of wiki use cases as we
discuss adding new tools to our toolbelt.

So, if you use the wiki as part of your OpenStack work, make sure to
check if your use case is mentioned on the etherpad at:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/wiki-use-cases

If not, please add your use case, together with the URL of such a wiki
page to that etherpad.

Thanks in advance,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)