[Openstack] Add IPv6 support to an existing network using nova network

Mike Jacobs mjacobs at broadsoft.com
Wed May 4 17:21:30 UTC 2016

Hello,

We have a current OpenStack Kilo deployment in a lab environment. It
utilizes Nova network that has flat IPv4 networks defined. We later enabled
IPv6 on a few compute nodes, and the VMs that were created on those compute
nodes had an IPv4 address that we defined at creation and an IPv6 address
provided by the local router, and worked fine. What we have encountered is
if the VM is terminated and we reinstantiate the VM via snapshot, the IPv6
address is different than the original since the hardware address of the
new VM is different.

Since some of our lab tools require us to hardcode IP addresses, it would
be beneficial to have static IPv6 addresses. I see where nova boot commands
can specify both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses, but from what I read from the
documentation and searching around, the network defined would require
having ipv6 set up on it. I see where one can add and delete a network, but
there is no modify available. I would like to know if I have missed seeing
a command that can do this, or if adding the v6 info into the database and
restarting compute nodes is a possibility.

Thanks,

Mike

[syseng at seng216 ~]$ nova network-show syseng-net

+---------------------+--------------------------------------+

| Property            | Value                                |

+---------------------+--------------------------------------+

| bridge              | br100                                |

| bridge_interface    | ens3f0                               |

| broadcast           | aaa.bbb.ccc.255                      |

| cidr                | aaa.bbb.ccc.128/25                   |

| cidr_v6             | -                                    |

| created_at          | 2015-10-03T15:26:54.000000           |

| deleted             | False                                |

| deleted_at          | -                                    |

| dhcp_server         | aaa.bbb.ccc.129                      |

| dhcp_start          | aaa.bbb.ccc.130                      |

| dns1                | 1.2.3.4                              |

| dns2                | -                                    |

| enable_dhcp         | True                                 |

| gateway             | aaa.bbb.ccc.129                      |

| gateway_v6          | -                                    |

| host                | -                                    |

| id                  | dfb16f90-4a49-49f3-9319-acd22968d214 |

| injected            | False                                |

| label               | syseng-net                           |

| mtu                 | -                                    |

| multi_host          | True                                 |

| netmask             | 255.255.255.128                      |

| netmask_v6          | -                                    |

| priority            | -                                    |

| project_id          | -                                    |

| rxtx_base           | -                                    |

| share_address       | True                                 |

| updated_at          | -                                    |

| vlan                | -                                    |

| vpn_private_address | -                                    |

| vpn_public_address  | -                                    |

| vpn_public_port     | -                                    |

--

This email is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If