[Openstack] password in clear text

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Wed Mar 23 17:13:32 UTC 2016

We use OpenStack as follows for most interactive use cases

  *   Our Kerberos server is provided by AD
  *   We kinit/klog to get a Kerberos ticket
  *   Our openrc definitions are set up to use a Keystone authentication with Kerberos

This uses the OS_AUTH_TYPE=v3kerberos environment.

An old blog on this is at http://openstack-in-production.blogspot.fr/2014/10/kerberos-and-single-sign-on-with.html

Adam has also done some nice blogs such as http://adam.younglogic.com/2014/05/keystone-and-kerberos/

The summary is if you have a Kerberos enabled AD nearby and can live with the OSC openstack client, you can avoid the password in clear text in your environment.

Tim