[Openstack] swift ringbuilder and disk size/capacity relationship

Mark Kirkwood mark.kirkwood at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Mar 10 05:14:49 UTC 2016

On 10/03/16 00:03, Peter Brouwer wrote:

> Indeed, I should have been a bit more clear with my question.
> What is swifts behavior of a situation in which  a disk where a swift
> partition points to runs out of space? There can be a number of swift
> partitions that point to the same disk, does each partition gets a
> certain capacity of the disk allocated?

Hmm, I'm confused by the phrase 'partitions that point to the same disk':

- account, container, object rings can get set to use the same *device*
(typically an entire disk e.g /dev/sdc). While you could use partitions
e.g if you are sourcing storage from a SAN...this is not the usual scenario.
- they all 'compete' for the storage, however it is usually the objects
that eat the most of it (you can put the accounts and containers on
their own real disks to avoid this...I think the docs suggest this as as
a good practice).

What happens when you run out of disk is that (eventually) you cannot
add any more objects or containers. Swift is pretty resilient and can
cope with *some* devices being full but eventually nothing can be done
and you need to add more storage nodes and amend ring configuration
(preferably *before* getting into the situation I described)!

regards

Mark