[Openstack] Question about external network showing on dashboard (Kilo)

Tomas Vondra vondra at czech-itc.cz
Thu Mar 3 14:59:38 UTC 2016

Erdősi Péter <fazy at ...> writes:

> Hello!
>
> We faced a problem, when we let our beta users to our new cloud.
> They constantly tried to create an instance and add network named EXT1,
> which is a tenant network, and they not made any router and local subnet.
> The VM creation is failed of course.
>
> Our external network is flat type, mark as shared and also external, and
> assigned to admin project.
>
> Can we hide the option to add those (external & shared) networks (which
> should be only used with routers) to instances by a user?
>
> Thanks:
>  Peter

Hi Peter!
You should set your network as external and NOT shared. That way, it will be
available as a choice for rotuer gateways, but not for VM ports.
It is also a good practice to make a network and a rotuer for tenants so
that they can start launching instances righ away. Either make a shared one
for all, or one for each. It is a trade-off between tenant separation and
acountability for network traffic, and conserving public IP addresses.
Tomas