[Openstack] Openstack potential security breach via ipv6

Brian Haley brian.haley at hpe.com
Thu Mar 3 13:45:52 UTC 2016

On 3/3/16 4:48 AM, Vincent Godin wrote:
> If you install Openstack using ipv4 but without disabling ipv6 (like
> almost all distrib) a VM in any tenant is able to connect to every
> daemon listening in ipv6 on the compute (ssh, libvirt and  ...). This is
> du to the interfaces in the linux bridge attach to the VM which have
> ipv6 adresses by default and then are listening like all interfaces of
> the host. To do this, you just have to configure an ipv6 address on a VM
> of a tenant.
> To protect, you can just disable ipv6 or configure all daemon on the
> compute to listen only on ipv4 adresses

You didn't say which version you are running, but we did address this
issue in Liberty, with additional patches in Mitaka.  Most changes have
been backported to the stable branches.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1470931
https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1302080
https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1534652

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/198054/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/241076
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/268373/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/275293/

Those reviews should have links to the changes that were cherry-picked
to stable.

-Brian