[Openstack] cinder_img_volume_type value for a NFS shared storage ...

Jean-Pierre Ribeauville jpribeauville at axway.com
Thu Jun 2 13:15:22 UTC 2016

Hi,

In order to us NFS backend , and following this article :

https://access.redhat.com/articles/1323213

I've created a new nfstype within cinder .

# cinder extra-specs-list
+--------------------------------------+---------+-----------------------------------------+
|                  ID                  |   Name  |               extra_specs               |
+--------------------------------------+---------+-----------------------------------------+
| bbff44b5-52b1-43d6-beb4-83aa2d20bc59 | nfstype | {u'volume_backend_name': u'nfsbackend'} |
| f8d31dc8-a20e-410c-81bf-6b0a971c61a0 |  iscsi  |     {u'volume_backend_name': u'lvm'}    |
+--------------------------------------+---------+-----------------------------------------+

Now , my goal is to create an instance  that will be bootable from a nfs volume.

As said here :

http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/cli_nova_launch_instance_from_volume.html

if you want to create a volume to a specific storage backend, you need to use an image which has cinder_img_volume_type property. In this case, a new volume will be created as storage_backend1 volume type.

Related to my use case ,  what  should be the value of the cinder_img_volume_type property I've to add to the image :  nfstype or nfsbackend ?

I understand that , if all stuff is going well ,  a new volume will be created to host the instance , no ephemeral storage will be used for this instance ( making it movable between compute nodes ) ?

Am I right ?

Thx for help.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre RIBEAUVILLE