[Openstack] VM resize time comparison

Tomas Vondra vondra at czech-itc.cz
Tue Jul 26 07:45:09 UTC 2016

Chathura M. Sarathchandra Magurawalage <77.chathura at ...> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know the reason for VM resizing time to increase faster if you
continuously increase CPU or DISK
> resources by +1 (e.g. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5). Whereas, when you increase from
1 to any of +1/+2/+3/+4…..+n
> (e.g. 1-2, 1,3, 1-4, 1-5), the VM resize time still increases at each
step, but it takes less time in
> comparison to the former method. Can anyone give an explanation for this?

Hi!
If I'm correct, the resize operation stops the VM, migrates it to another
computed node and starts it with another configuration there.
So if you have your VM running on local storage, moreover raw local storage,
you will be copying a bigger disk over each time. Otherwise, it should not
matter. Am I correct about your configuration?
Tomas