[Openstack] [OpenStack][Nova] Configuring IP address on a DHCP disabled network

Kaustubh Kelkar kaustubh.kelkar at casa-systems.com
Wed Jul 20 22:45:17 UTC 2016

My use case involves booting up an instance attached to two networks - one having Neutron DHCP service running and one without. Looking within the documentation [1], I was hoping to use configuration drive to provide IP information for the second interface. But, if I understand correctly, one could theoretically pass any IP information through it; which may or may not match the IP that is assigned to the Neutron port. I wonder if there is any way the actual IP assigned to the Neutron port is exposed in some way within the VM.

One crude workaround I can think of is to create a port beforehand with a fixed IP, and use this information to configure static networking within the VM. However this might not be manageable if a user launches numerous VMs since he/she will have to ensure that IPs do not overlap.

[2] looks promising, but I am not clear how I can just specify the second interface only.

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/cli_config_drive.html
[2] http://blog.oddbit.com/2015/06/26/openstack-networking-without-dhcp/

Thanks,
Kaustubh