[Openstack] [swift] Capacity planning/sizing metrics for swift proxy?

Mark Kirkwood mark.kirkwood at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Jul 15 03:47:54 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm looking at capacity planning for swift proxies. In particular coming
up with recommendation forthings like:
- when we need to add memory
- when we need to add cpus (or)
- when we need to add proxies

Are there any current metrics or guidelines for answering questions like:
- if we want to support 100 concurrent 5G uploads per proxy, how much
RAM and how many cpus do we need?

My approach to date has been based on looking at 'top' while I do
experimental uploads and seeing that each swift-proxy process seems to
use about 55Mb....but I'm wondering if some more substantial analysis
has been done!

Cheers

Mark