[Openstack] Built in security group?

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Tue Jul 12 16:13:58 UTC 2016

I noticed today when I created an instance which
only allowed incoming/outgoing SSH connections

	• ALLOW IPv4 22/udp to 0.0.0.0/0
	• ALLOW IPv4 22/tcp from 0.0.0.0/0

that it failed on the setup of the cloud info.

As in, the "http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/instance-id"
request failed (because it couldn't reach 169.254.169.254).

However, if I added a

	• ALLOW IPv4 80/tcp to 169.254.169.254/32

then it worked..

Which is/was kind'a obvious in retrospect :).

Is there a way to specify that a (that) rule should
ALWAYS be added to an instance, no matter what is
(or isn't!) selected in the GUI?

As in, in my use-case(s), _ALL_ instances must
_ALWAYS_ have that latter rule, but I rather not
have to remember to add it to every security group
I create (and I already have).
--
There are no dumb questions,
unless a customer is asking them.