[Openstack] DVR and public IP consumption

James Denton james.denton at rackspace.com
Wed Jan 20 15:35:54 UTC 2016

Hi,

>> You cannot get around each tenant gateway router consuming an extra public IP address itself as far as I know.

Almost. With DVR, a FIP namespace is created on compute nodes, with one FIP namespace per external network. The FIP namespace owns an IP address from the external provider network, and all tenant routers connected to the same external network on the same node connect to the respective FIP namespace via veth pair. It is possible that all compute nodes could each have a FIP namespace connected to the same external network, which would certainly reduce the number of IPs available, but it beats having to give each tenant router an IP. There is some NAT/routing/Proxy ARP magic that goes into making this config work. Assaf’s blog is a great resource for that info.

James