[Openstack] [neutron] User documentation for Neutron's Firewall-as-a-Service (FWaaS)?

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 12 17:57:21 UTC 2016

> From: Matt Kassawara <mkassawara at gmail.com>
> To: Mike Spreitzer/Watson/IBM at IBMUS
> Cc: "openstack at lists.openstack.org" <openstack at lists.openstack.org>
> Date: 01/12/2016 12:16 PM
> Subject: Re: [Openstack] [neutron] User documentation for Neutron's
> Firewall-as-a-Service (FWaaS)?
>
> Not really... :/
>
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Mike Spreitzer <mspreitz at us.ibm.com>
wrote:
> Is there any user documentation for FWaaS besides http://
> docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/
> networking_introduction.html#firewall-as-a-service-fwaas-overview
> ?  That one is a bit skimpy and, I suspect, a little outdated. For
> example, `neutron help firewall-create` mentions an option, `--
> router`, that is not mentioned in that doc section and not well
> explained in the on-line help.

So can someone please explain the `--router` option to `neutron
firewall-create` in more detail?  Here is what I get from `neutron help
firewall-create`:

usage: neutron firewall-create [-h] [-f {json,shell,table,value,yaml}]
                               [-c COLUMN] [--max-width <integer>]
                               [--noindent] [--prefix PREFIX]
                               [--request-format {json,xml}]
                               [--tenant-id TENANT_ID] [--name NAME]
                               [--description DESCRIPTION]
                               [--admin-state-down] [--router ROUTER]
                               POLICY

optional arguments:
  --router ROUTER       Firewall associated router names or IDs (requires
                        FWaaS router insertion extension, this option can
be
                        repeated)

Is there someplace I can learn more about this "FWaaS router insertion
extension"?  When I use DevStack, does it install this extension?  How do
I controls its installation when using DevStack?  How do I install it when
not using DevStack?  How, in general, can I tell whether it is
installed/enabled?  What happens if I do not supply a `--router` argument
to this command?  Does the answer to that depend on whether the FWaaS
router insertion extension is installed/enabled?

Thanks,
Mike