[Openstack] OpenStack API workers count

Alexander Simeonov simeonov at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 11:06:30 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am running OpenStack on a single physical node, installed with packstack —allinone. The host has 32gb of memory, 32 logical cores and currently runs a single VM with 16gb RAM allocated.  However, after just a few hours of usage, the host starts swapping. After inspection of the current memory usage, I see most of the OpenStack services have spawned multiple processed each which in total consume about 12gb of memory (shared+resident per process):

MiB	Process		# processes
3686.4  nova-api		97
2355.2  neutron-server		65
2048    nova-conductor 		33
1536    heat-engine 		33
819.2   glance-registry		33
657     glance-api		33
504.6   swift-proxy-ser		33
183.9   neutron-metadat		33
168.8   cinder-api		33

According to the docs at http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/config-reference/content/list-of-compute-config-options.html <http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/config-reference/content/list-of-compute-config-options.html>, OpenStack defaults the number of workers for each of this service to the number of logical cores on the server, but the nova-api and the neutron-servers seem to have multipliers of 3 and 2 respectively.

Since this machine will only run just a few (3-4) VMs and modifications or creation of guests will rarely occur once it has been fully set up, what are the minimum values that I could use in the relevant config files in order to decrease the memory usage of this services? Can I safely run a single worker for each of the internal services?

Thanks.

Regards,
Alexander