[Openstack] [OpenStack] Second Public IP for VM on Another Public Network does not work properly

Neil Jerram neil at tigera.io
Wed Aug 17 23:40:54 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 7:35 PM Brian Haley <brian.haley at hpe.com> wrote:

> Is a cloud datacenter going to have multiple link types?  I doubt it.  And
> having two VMs would be easier anyways as there are probably other things
> you'reha
> going to tune.

Yes, I think so.  I'm currently working on an OpenStack customer deployment
where they want each instance to have an additional NIC for 'management'
access into and out from that instance; and there is a correspondingly
separate provider network for 'management' purposes between the compute
hosts.  In general, when an instance has multiple NICs, it needs somehow to
arrange that it sets up only one default route, through one of those NICs,
and that non-default routes are used to direct traffic to specific
destinations through the other NICs.

(FWIW, I also submitted a proposal to talk about this in Barcelona: "Routed
(Calico) networking with ECMP, dual fabric planes and data/management
separation".)

Regards,
     Neil