[Openstack] Big chunks of dynamic instance metadata?

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Fri Apr 15 19:10:44 UTC 2016

Short version:

     I need a way to provide a dynamically-updating .yaml file to a nova
instance.  Is there an existing solution for this in nova that I'm
overlooking?

Long version:

     In my current setup, each Nova instance has a puppet node
definition in ldap, which is loaded via the puppet ldap node
classifier.  Unfortunately, puppet/ldap support is broken and dying, so
I need a new way to pass config data to a labs instance.

     I already have things set up to accept the node classifier in yaml,
so all I need now is a way to pass that yaml data into a running
instance.  The catch is that I also need to update the yaml at runtime,
so (as I understand it) 'user data' won't do the trick.

     Reading and writing instance metadata is easy enough, so it's the
obvious choice.  Each metadata record is limited to 255 characters,
though.  This means I'm on the verge of writing a hack that inserts a
series of metadata records 'puppetnodemeta0001,' 'puppetnodemeta0002,'
etc. and concatenates them into my node definition.

     Please, somebody stop me before I make that awful thing!

-A