[Openstack] Ironic in the same install with virtualization?

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 16 17:03:48 UTC 2015

My users are mostly happy with VMs, but I get occasional requests for
physical hardware in order to host databases, run performance tests,
etc.  I'd love to rack a dozen small servers and graft the ironic
service onto my existing cloud in order to fulfill these sporadic
needs.  I'm given pause, though, by this doc section:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic/deploy/install-guide.html#configure-compute-to-use-the-bare-metal-service

For example, this:

     compute_driver=nova.virt.ironic.IronicDriver

That would have me changing nova settings in such a way that would
clearly make nova /only/ support bare-metal, disabling its
virtualization facilities.  Does that mean that bare metal is really an
either/or proposition, or is there some way to make bare metal and virt
services coexist on a single nova installation?  Or is there an
in-between option that involves installing a second nova stack on
different nodes with a different config?

-- Bonus Question --

I'm still using nova-network.  Is anyone using ironic without neutron?
Or, if not, is that at least theoretically possible?

Thanks!

-Andrew