[Openstack] How to create an image that can be installed to other hypervisors or load it on other instances in another openstack cloud?

Michelakis, Spiros (Nokia - GR/Athens) spiros.michelakis at nokia.com
Sat Oct 31 17:03:52 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have questions regarding the images and how you can load them into instances. Please find below my questions:

1.      Has anyone create an image that can be installed into other hypervisors than openstack? I mean that I have the image, (let's say a Cirros image), on an instance and I make some changes there. How can I take that image together with my changes, produce a new image including the original one and the changes of course, and load it into other hypervisors like VMware sphere, for instance?

2.      If I want to take an image from an instance from openstack cloud A and load  it into a VM into another openstack cloud B, will it work? And how? Just by loading it to the new VM or do I have to process/change it somehow? I'm afraid this would mix up the IPs of the two clouds, (internal and external IPs), and in general the network configuration would be different on the two openstack cloud environments, so how this can be done?

3.      I tried to implement this by taking snapshots on my VMs I want the image to be transferred. The result was to take a backup of my volume, the one that it is used by the VM. The problem here is that if my VM uses, for instance, the xlarge flavor, it means it will take a snapshot of 160GB for an OS only of 12.5 MB, which is really TRAGIC!!!! So, under what situations it is preferable to use snapshots? This is an extreme example to understand my thought/question and the reason why I cannot use snapshot.

4.      By taking a snapshot from a VM as I said it will take a snapshot of the volume used on the specific flavor for a VM. This will take the NFS file as well, right? There is no any special volume other than the one used on the flavor storing the NFS details, correct? Of course, by default openstack installation/configuration.

I'm looking forward to hear your answers.... Thank you in advance for your time and for spreading your knowledge....

Br
-SM-