[Openstack] Metadata Issue

Geoffrey Tran gtran at isi.edu
Tue Oct 27 06:27:20 UTC 2015

Hello George,

Thank you for you reply.  Just wanted to report back that the routing table
was indeed the issue.  Turns out the image had avahi-autoipd installed, which
was setting up the route "169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0  scope link".

Removing the avahi-autoipd file from the network /etc/network/if-up.d directory
resolves the issue.  I also had to disable network manager from managing the
interface, as it wasn't coming up fast enough for cloud-init.  Turns out someone
ran into this issue at:
https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/55451/ubuntu-cloud-init-cant-get-metadata-at-boot/

Thank you again to everyone's help.  CC'ing the mailing list in case anyone
runs into this issue.

Thanks,
Geoffrey