[Openstack] What is the difference between cloudstack and openstack.

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Oct 24 12:17:32 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-24 12:44:04 +0530 (+0530), Venkatesh Kotipalli wrote:
> Still now lot of confusion* What is the difference between cloudstack and
> openstack ?*
> any body know please please share important points.

The most important difference to me: when CloudStack emerged into
the open and was no longer simply the proprietary platform for
VMOps/cloud.com, it was done under an "open core" model where some
of it was still kept proprietary. This severely stunted the growth
of any cohesive developer community around their platform. By
comparison when NASA and Rackspace opened up the seeds of what is
now OpenStack (a couple months later), it not only released the full
working code bases for those projects but also went with an open
development and design model and began work to transfer any original
intellectual property assets to a forming nonprofit foundation.

In the world of free software, community inertia is almost
everything and far outweighs any relative differences in maturity of
a code base, quality control, or feature set. This article from a
few years ago when Citrix, who eventually acquired cloud.com,
relicensed and donated CloudStack to the Apache Foundation, outlines
what they recognized then as remaining deficiencies in openness (but
in my opinion was an unfortunate matter of too little too late):

--
Jeremy Stanley