[Openstack] Convert from GRE to VLAN

James Denton james.denton at rackspace.com
Mon Oct 19 14:25:31 UTC 2015

Hi Florian,

It is possible, though maybe not for the faint of heart depending on your strategy. You can:

1. Create new VLAN networks using the same subnet CIDRs as the existing GRE networks, then detach existing interfaces and attach new interfaces with the same IPs. You would need to detach/attach router interfaces as well and maybe change floating IP associations. There are quite a few steps here but it is possible.

2. Make the changes to the database and restart services. This is not the route I would go if I could avoid it, but it has been done. We went from OVS/GRE to ML2/LinuxBridge/VLAN over a year ago in some live environments. I highly recommend simulating this in a lab environment before doing it live.

Here’s some links on the latter that talk about what we did:

https://www.openstack.org/summit/openstack-paris-summit-2014/session-videos/presentation/migrating-production-workloads-from-ovs-to-linux-bridge-w-ml2 <https://www.openstack.org/summit/openstack-paris-summit-2014/session-videos/presentation/migrating-production-workloads-from-ovs-to-linux-bridge-w-ml2>

https://github.com/busterswt/openstackparis2014 <https://github.com/busterswt/openstackparis2014>

James