[Openstack] Volume from image question

Avishay Traeger avishay at stratoscale.com
Mon Oct 12 11:25:27 UTC 2015

The flow for all images for this process is to download from Glance to a
temporary file, and then write to volume.  This is not necessary for raw
images, but that optimization has not been done.  I did leave a comment
about that in the code though 2.5 years ago, but never implemented it - you
can give it a go if you'd like :-)

Are you using two different Ceph clusters, one for images and one for
volumes?  Otherwise it should just be doing a thin provisioned clone of the
image (no download, no temp space, no upload).

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Cory Hawkless <Cory at hawkless.id.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> When creating a volume from an image(Using Horizon), why does the Cinder
> server need to do what appears to be a conversion of the image before it
> can create the volume?
>
> All of my images in Glance are uploaded in RAW format, images and volumes
> are stored in Ceph.
>

> The reason I know the images are being processed on my glance server is
> because it runs out of disk space when trying to make volumes from large
> images and the process fails. I can see the temporary file in
> /var/lib/cinder/conversion
>

> Is it not possible to have glance simply copy the image form the images
> store into the volumes store? I am going to regularly be creating new
> Windows Server instances, so it would take quite some time for a 20gb image
> to be processed by Cinder before it can be uploaded into Ceph.
>

> Regards,
>
> Cory

*Avishay Traeger, PhD*
*System Architect*