[Openstack] Volume from image question

Cory Hawkless Cory at Hawkless.id.au
Mon Oct 12 09:27:47 UTC 2015

Hi all,

When creating a volume from an image(Using Horizon), why does the Cinder server need to do what appears to be a conversion of the image before it can create the volume?
All of my images in Glance are uploaded in RAW format, images and volumes are stored in Ceph.

The reason I know the images are being processed on my glance server is because it runs out of disk space when trying to make volumes from large images and the process fails. I can see the temporary file in /var/lib/cinder/conversion

Is it not possible to have glance simply copy the image form the images store into the volumes store? I am going to regularly be creating new Windows Server instances, so it would take quite some time for a 20gb image to be processed by Cinder before it can be uploaded into Ceph.

Regards,
Cory