[Openstack] [Vitrage] First Vitrage meeting

AFEK, Ifat (Ifat) ifat.afek at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu Nov 5 17:26:08 UTC 2015

Hi,

This is the content of the first Vitrage meeting we had on Nov 4.
Sorry for the format... for the next meeting, I'll auto-generate the meeting minutes in the standard way.

Regards,
Ifat.

------------------------------

ifat_afek
Hello everyone, welcome to our first Vitrage iRC meeting :-)
→ adami_toganet has joined
← adami_toga has left
ifat_afek
Meeting agenda:
- Updates from Mitaka Summit
- Vitrage project logistics
- Workplan, timelines and Action items for the next meeting
Updates from Mitaka Summit:
We had several meetings in Mitaka Summit related to Vitrage project.
We presented Vitrage to Gordon Chung, Ceilometer PTL. He was impressed, agreed that Vitrage can be a separate project, and said there should not be an overlap with AODH alarms. We got his blessing for the project.
We attended Ceilometer alarms design session, and presented Vitrage there too.
We met some potentail contributors for Vitrage. Huawei (PinPoint), HP (Monasca), Mirantis (Doctor). There is an interest in the community in working with us.
nitzikow
Mirantis is the LMA guys
→ tshtilma has joined
nitzikow
Doctor people from NEC, docomo, Nokia, Ericson and more...
alexey_weyl
We met Doctor people, and they were very interested in the project. They think that vitrage can be aused in Doctor as the inspector Part
umargolin
We need to dive into the architecure to see how we can integrate with both Doctor and PinPoint
oshamir
my overall impression is that first we got validation for the need of RCA project in OpenStack and second that Vitrage can be a good candidate for reference implementation for both Doctor and PinPoint projects (OPNFV).
nitzikow
what is the next step?
ifat_afek
We need to understand the requirements of both PinPoint and inspector, update our architecture and adjust the blueprints
Our current blueprints list matches our initial workplan, and should be updated
→ nadavyakar has joined
ifat_afek
we should then prioritize the blueprints and assign them to people
→ amir_gur has joined
→ Adi_ has joined
oshamir
basic components of Vitrage are not depends on requirements from OPNFV projects and we should start with them
umargolin
As we have working code in Java, the migration process should be quite simple.
liat
I think that the current blueprints need to be part of the Gerrent in order to get community feedback
*Gerret
alexey_weyl
*Gerrit
ifat_afek
you are right, we can start with the entity graph and template blueprints
nitzikow
yes I agree, I suggest all people who wrote blueprints write the spec in the vitrage-specs. ill make sure to open the project in the github. it will be easier in the Gerrit to get comments and feedback from the community.
umargolin
Need to map the areas that need a change in order to make it a stand alone solution
ifat_afek
but we do need to go over the entire list, update it, and check the dependencies between them
→ eylon has joined
liat
also we need to add blueprints for the synchronizers
ifat_afek
right
← amir_gur has quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
ifat_afek
we are also missing a blueprint for horizon UI
eylon
we need to figure out what are the requirements from the synchronizers
alexey_weyl
In addition, we need to start understand and work on how to work on the openstack environment with devstack
umargolin
One of the 1st tasks would be to design a generic plugin mechanism so we can retrieve input from multiple sources and configure each environment according to existing sources.
nitzikow
ill work on the UI BPs, hope to have something until next week.
→ amir__gur has joined
elisha_rosenswei
In the horizon/UI department, I'm thinking we might want visualization for: (1) the entity graph (2) RCA (3) adding templates for the RCA and deduced alarms
ifat_afek
yes, we better start by defining the general API for a synchronizer, so the blueprints can then progress in parallel based on the api
→ ayah has joined
elisha_rosenswei
RCA UI should come first, then template addition, then entity graph
ifat_afek
ok, I suggest that for the next meeting every one will create a gerrit blueprint for his blueprint. who wants to create blueprints for the synchronizer and UI?
nitzikow
ill work on the UI, hope some UI engineers will join next time.
^Gal^
I could help with anything in the UI side
nitzikow
super!
^Gal^
:)
ifat_afek
anything else related the blueprints? if not, let's move to the logistics part
we need to take care of several issues:
• Create our skeleton vitrage project in git
• Register to openstack mails
• Register to #openstack-meeting channel for the next meetings
also, as discussed earlier, create gerrit issues for the blueprints
^Gal^
I think you'll a documentation blueprint, even at a general level so you could drill down to specific topics later
eyalb
there is a skeleton
← eylon has quit (Quit: AndroIRC - Android IRC Client ( http://www.androirc.com ))
eyalb
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/229748/
need to make it pass
→ [1]eylon has joined
ifat_afek
I understood from Maty that there is a technical issue regarding the skeleton, and the first commit will require some additional work
we should work with Maty on solving it
alexey_weyl
agree, the main objective should be to understand all the logistics on how to work with openstack
eyalb
it fails on the python gateway I dont know why
also we need to fix the setup.cfg
^Gal^
you could run the gate tests locally on Mary machine, check the output and then commit
maty*
ifat_afek
everyone should register to openstack mailing list, with a rule for [Vitrage] mails. I'm going to send this meeting as the first email :-)
ifat_afek
anything else I missed?
ifat_afek
we should also ask Maty to create vitrage-specs project in git. we will keep the blueprint specs there
nitzikow
I talked to Maty, he will do it today.
← asisin has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
ifat_afek
I will create a template for the blueprints
← Adi_ has quit (Quit: Page closed)
umargolin
Anything else?
^Gal^
there are meetings for openstack drivers in the IRC
you should check these
← umargolin has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
ifat_afek
ok, will do. thanks.
← amir__gur has quit (Quit: AndroIRC - Android IRC Client ( http://www.androirc.com ))
ifat_afek
anyone else wants to add anything?
← [1]eylon has left
ifat_afek
ok, so I suggest we end this meeting. action items for the next meeting:
- resolve all logistics issues
→ ayaho has joined
ifat_afek
- create blueprints in gerrit
- prioritize the blueprints
- create new blueprints for the synchronizer and UI
- create vitrage-specs project in github
← IdanHefetz has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
ifat_afek
goodbye everybody
← adami_toganet has left
ifat_afek
next week we will meet on the same hour, hopefully on #openstack-meeting-3 channel
^Gal^
cool, talk to me if you need anything that I could help
← nadavyakar has quit (Quit: AndroIRC - Android IRC Client ( http://www.androirc.com ))
← elisha_rosenswei has left ("Leaving")
← eyalb has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
← danoffek has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
← oshamir has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
← nitzikow has quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
← ayaho has quit (Quit: AndroIRC - Android IRC Client ( http://www.androirc.com ))
→ nitzikow has joined