[Openstack] Neutron glitches and floatingip status DOWN

Matt Davis mattd5574 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 05:15:07 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I've been diagnosing a problem on my icehouse install (ubuntu with a 3-node
galera cluster as the database backend) and I've gotten the system into a
bad state.  The glitch I've been chasing is that the neutron API becomes
unresponsive for a few minutes approximately every half hour before
returning to normal.  Nothing obvious in the logs (no warnings, errors, or
critical output seems correllated with the failure).  The request goes in
and I get no response back.  After 5 minutes or so, it returns to normal.

The second problem is that while I reconfigured the system to debug
(removing proxy layers, connecting directly to a single galera cluster
node, etc.), I think I broke something having to do with floating IPs.  Now
when I connect a floating IP to a VM, it the IP shows up as "DOWN" instead
of "ACTIVE" and I'm unable to ping it.  Notes:

1)  The underlying VM port is active and works as expected.  I can connect
to the fixed IP from within the VM's virtual network.  The VM can connect
to the outside world.
2)  Existing VMs with existing floating IPs work as expected.
3)  If I create a new VM and try to apply an existing floating IP to it
(one that was working on a previous VM), the status for that floating IP
remains "ACTIVE" but I'm unable to ping it.
4)  All of the security groups for all of the VMs are the same.

Floating IP manipulation doesn't seem to produce a lot of debugging content
in the logs, so it's difficult to trace this one.  I don't know if the
neutron API glitches are related or if the floating IP problem is a second
issue that I created in the process of debugging.

Any idea where I should look?

Thanks,

-Matt