[Openstack] Windows VM running on OpenStack

Tzach Shefi tshefi at redhat.com
Tue May 12 12:57:35 UTC 2015

Hi,

This should point you in the right direction:
http://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/content/windows-image.html

License wise if you have an OVS agreement with MS and using a KMS license key/server (Key Management Server) things should be easy.
Use your MS supplied installation media, it should have a default preconfigured built-in license key which points hosts to search for and register with your local KMS server, via a special DNS or AD record don't recall.
See these links for a start
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee939272.aspx

Here you go:
https://open.ibmcloud.com/documentation/windows-activation.html

Another added advantage of KMS, it can "de-registered" or decrees count of dead hosts.
You could boot up instances and once they are terminated after a while, KMS server would automatically decrees license count for terminated instances.

KMS works fine it's bit funky at first, example with Windows 7 it would wait until 25 hosts connected and requested licenses, during this time they get temp grace license until the minimum count of 25 hosts is reached.
Only after 25 hosts would KMS server actually fully register with MS and give your hosts the actual license.
If you drop below 25 hosts you will have a problem..

Another license option (bad one..) is using Multi activation key, same key can be used to register a few instances over and over again.
With each activation count will drop up till the limit of that license, then you'll need to call them and explain or ask for help.
Not a good idea for instances which are installed/terminated often.

Tips from my past IT experience with MS, I'd consult with MS any way just to be sure, maybe things changed.
Feel free to email me if you have more questions.

Good luck.
Tzach