[Openstack] Routing from instances to floating ips in nova-network -- possible?

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Wed May 6 20:56:18 UTC 2015

     Since time immemorial, I've accepted as a fact of life that routing
from a nova instance to another instance via floating ip is impossible.
  We've coped with this via a hack in dnsmasq, setting an alias to
rewrite public IPs to the corresponding internal IP.

     Right now I'm trying to move our instances off of dnsmasq and onto
a more robust designate/pdns setup.  Unfortunately, pdns does not
support split-horizon nor the aliasing scheme that we used in dnsmasq.
This has me back to square one, wishing that we could just make the
routing work in the first place.  A recent IRC conversation leads me to
believe that this issue may actually be fixed in modern nova-network
versions (with the fix disabled by default), but a day of googling
hasn't turned up much confirmation.

     Is there a fix for this I'm missing?  If not, what kind of
solutions are people using to work around it?

     I'm running Icehouse with flatdhcp nova-network and a single
network node.  Details about the problematic routing can be found in
this public phabricator task: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T96924

     Thanks!

-Andrew